Thursday, January 9, 2020
2020 been knocking soooo long...
Last year, I left behind a meaningful, secure, profitable life with a decades-long career in medicine for a trip in the woods. I had flirted with music as a sideline for most of the last ten years, then decided to create a business, write songs, and record an album in 2016 -- responding to a growing fire that I considered the calling of my heart and soul. The intention to "live my dream" felt good, but the reality felt overwhelming. Yo-yo ing back and forth between the music project and demands of raising three kids, needing to work to pay bills, and care for my then-life partner, not to mention the constant NEED of the medical system - ER shifts to fill, emergency help for the hospitalists, all those patients that desperately need help, need a "good doctor"...I was exhausted and too much in survival mode to think about 2020. I just kept working my head off and telling my heart it would get better. [check out the first single from the album, "Wait"]
I tried a sabbatical from medicine in 2017, after I saw how puny my musical production was in a year of trying to squeeze it into the cracks of a busy doctor-mom-wife life. It lasted a few months, during which every other area of my life seemed to explode and demand the attention I hoped to lavish on the music.
Then in 2018, after I finally organized the business, polished the website, the merchandise, had a L.A. Grammy-award-winning producer waiting for the final edits of the last of 5 demos to mix and master my first EP...life at home went from plausible-deniability abuse to outright violence. I had to leave. In a hurry. With my children, no place to go, no car, and a vengeful ex who began stalking me.
As I rushed to pack our belongings, tearing down my studio, putting microphones on top of rolls of cords, stacks of music and files into brown paper bags, I fell into such a surreal place -- all I had worked to build, when would I get back to the music? How would I...? Would I?
Summer of 2018 I found a home, bought a used car, navigated the land mines of my ex's hatred (in large part because I had not only succeeded in leaving him, but had managed to leverage money from a joint account - the only asset he had not stripped - to buy the house with cash), and set to work creating a stable, safe life for our family. I gratefully went back to the ER, working as much as I could to pay bills, buy furniture, silverware, a vacuum cleaner, you get it. Start. Life. Over.
And, try to work through the cognitive dissonance that allowed me to stay in a toxic relationship for far too long. Try to look honestly at the wreckage of the life behind me, reckon with who I was as a forty-something single mother with a heart so broken the only thing left was what mattered: my kids, my "family" of loving friends, and my music. [listen to "Modern Family"]
But the music had to wait: so much to do to get ready for the school year, still trying to get a home settled, and my piano? Held hostage by my ex, at my old house. I just wanted to get clear of the violence we endured for so long, and feel safe - be safe - even if it meant taking one risky, scary step at a time...I knew eventually we would be free. But 2020? Starting to dream of the possibilities of new life in 2020. Surely by then, I would have solid ground under my feet again, ground that was real this time.
So the summer ended with a flurry of school prep, ER work, and finally, unpacking my equipment in my basement "studio" area. When the solo gigs I had scheduled early 2018, thinking I would be touring later in the year to support the new EP, started coming closer, I freaked. No piano, no time to practice, months without vocal work, I was not ready.
So I did the same thing that saved me every time life boxed me in before, I turned it over to Spirit. "If you want me to do these gigs, I trust you're gonna help me be ready. OR let me know to cancel, because I am scared out of my microphone". [we all need someone to help in the low times...check out "Turn Me Around"]
Magic happened, and before I could blink, I had a series of solo gigs behind me, each one preparing me more for the next, and building my confidence in the path through the woods that I only had glimpses of - I just closed my eyes, thanked my heart, and kept walking.
2018 ended, and 2019 saw an end to the legal battles (after a ridiculous amount of money, including all of my remaining savings to my ex in a settlement - in this case, money can buy happiness) and start of a new life in music: gigs, travel, songwriting, connecting with producers and managers...and still no album. Should I scrap the EP and go for the whole project? Or release a single from the new material? As I worked back into the music, one thing became clear. I could not give the energy to any project, and stay in medicine. Pulled thin by single-momming, and ready to give up the part of me that didn't fit anymore, I left the ER. Late in the year, knowing it was the right decision, but not with any fanfare, as I initially thought "if I can't make a living in music in one year, I will go back to being a responsible adult, and work in medicine to pay the bills..." So when folks asked, "are you still at the hospital?" I would safely say, "Of course, part-time"....
And 2020, knocking on my door, asked for decisions. Clarity. Accurate sight. What life do you want? I faced the truth that I was not as far along as I had hoped, the recording and production of my music still on the back burner. What if my year of recovery, and career change was an abysmal failure? What if I needed plan B to fall back on? How could I possibly survive on income from music alone?
New Years' Eve came, and went, and now I am here. In 2020. And the sky did not open, with trumpets blaring, washing me with iridescent rain making me a new being of light and love, with a clearly mapped out strategy for music success. [Insert expletive here]
After all the wandering, the peaks and valleys, the barbed wire fences, and angels under my feet, I am here. In 2020. With global warming (or not?), Trump (or not?), and poverty, starvation, war...seems ridiculous to be so hung up on a little music. Or not?
I don't know about you, but the clarity that I expected 2020 to bring is a lot more veiled than I thought it would be. But it is here. I just realized that instead of requiring my grand vision, strategy, and intention, 2020 was knocking for only one reason. For me to open the door and walk through.
Music connects us...shows us how we are the same, we can feel the same "soul" in different songs....And we can only experience that music if so many different expressions are captured...different voices, different instruments, unique words, notes...but all just right to make a sound that connects. I believe we are all just right to be ourselves, whatever expression that takes, I'm on a journey to explore what that means for me.
From my geek childhood to biochemistry and neuroscience research in college, through loooong years in medical school and family practice residency, and after a short family medicine and 2 decade emergency medicine practice, 3 kids, 2 baby daddies, and countless dark nights of the soul, I keep discovering who I am, what life means, and how connected we are in every moment.
The perspective I have is just one in the infinite number of ways life can be lived...I want to hear stories of each way the light is shifted in this kaleidoscope...so please comment on your experience.
My hope is that the posts here, and your thoughts in response, will deepen our connection and broaden the picture of the tapestry we all weave....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment